Super Bowl parties are filled with excitement and celebrating. Your team may win or lose it all. Even if you don’t care who is playing, part of the fun of a Super Bowl party lies in the wide variety of foods typically available to sustain you through hours of touchdowns and instant replays. But does that one evening of eating mean you need to consume enough calories to last through the entire off-season?
Healthy options at a Super Bowl party are often limited to the celery sticks offered as an accompaniment to a heaping pile of hot wings. And good luck finding anything substantial if you are a vegetarian or vegan. For a great-tasting, filling, easy, and healthy Super Bowl party recipe try Vegan Carrot and “Cheese” Taquitos.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Package Non-GMO Corn and Wheat Tortillas
- 8 oz. Package of Vegan Mozzarella-Style Shreds
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Place vegan mozzarella-style shreds and carrot into a food processor and pulse until well-blended into a small dice. A grater may also be used to shred the carrots into fine pieces, then mix with “cheese” shreds.
- Place open tortilla on a plate and scoop a spoonful of the carrot and “cheese” mix in the middle of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla up tightly so the mixture is contained inside. Continue filling additional tortillas until all the mixture is used.
- Heat 2 to 3 Tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the filled tortillas, seam-side down, in the skillet and cook about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture inside is warm and the outsides of the tortillas are slightly browned.
- Serve immediately or keep warm in a chafing dish.
Makes approximately 6 taquitos.
These taquitos are delicious topped with fresh salsa. To serve them as a main dish, add sides such as Spanish brown rice and beans. At this year’s Super Bowl party, having Vegan Carrot and “Cheese” Taquitos makes it easy to go vegan as you shout, “Go, Team!”