Do you want something you can eat ’til your heart’s content? Here is a great soup that you can make by the pot. You can freeze it so you have veggies any time. You can also add as many different vegetables as you like. You can add beans and corn or a pound of browned meat or poultry, if you want to make this a complete meal.
- 5 medium zucchini
- 1 large sweet onion
- 10 plum tomatoes peeled
- 1 small bag of carrots peeled and chunked
- 1 medium jalapeno or 1 small chipotle depending on your taste
- 1 quart of beef stock (vegetarians can use vegetable stock)
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 tbs dried sweet basil
- 1 tbs dried parsley or 2 tbs fresh parsley
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and pour in boiling water to cover them for a 5 about minutes. Peel the loosen skin from the tomatoes.
- Chop the tomatoes and set aside
- Chop the jalapenos and sauté in olive oil. If you are using chipotles, crumble them and add with the herbs
- Chop the onions and sauté in olive oil
- Chop the zucchini and sauté in olive oil
- Chop carrots and add to pot
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot
- Pour in the beef stock
- Add the herbs and chipotles if you are using them
Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook until the veggies are cooked to texture you prefer.